The Barker Adoption Foundation aspires to expand its leadership role as a model for building and sustaining families through adoption to ensure that every child has a loving, safe, and permanent family.
Barker provides lifelong services for all in the adoption constellation and advocates for ethical, respectful, and child-centered adoption practices.
Our mission is accomplished by practicing according to our core values, of which the following are key:
- Child-centered focus: While we serve all members in the constellation of adoption relationships, our primary client is the child who has no voice and often no advocate. We understand that the child’s needs lie at the intersection of birth parent and adoptive parent needs. The litmus test for all we do is whether we are acting in the child’s best interest.
- Integrity: Barker strives to uphold the highest ethical standards of practice, acting with honesty and understanding and respecting the rights of all parties.
- Inclusiveness: Barker values diversity of perspective, culture, race, ethnicity, religion, economic circumstances, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, and marital status. We strive to remove barriers for clients who seek our programs and services, and we value and seek diversity in our board governance structure and staff composition.
- Compassion: Our expression of concern for clients extends beyond empathy to true compassion. Compassion moves us to actions that put resources in place that make a difference in the lives of our clients.
- Innovation: Although Barker is one of the oldest adoption agencies in the country, we value innovation that expands opportunities for our clients. We endeavor to anticipate challenges and be creative and proactive in our solutions. We initiate new programs where the need is compelling, and we use the latest social service research and new technologies to guide our practice.