As part of its mission to provide life-long support to all members of the adoption circle, The Barker Adoption Foundation facilitates six ongoing monthly peer support/discussion groups:
- Adopted Persons’ Discussion Group: Meets on the third Thursday of each month from 7:00-9:00 PM. This group is open to any adopted person over the age of 18 and topics discussed include exploring adoptive identity, relationships with adoptive families and birth family (if applicable) and feelings about search and reunion.
- Parents of Adopted Young Adults: Meets on the second Tuesday of each month from 7:00–9:00 PM. This group is geared toward parents of adopted young adults (18+) and focuses on issues including fostering independence and identity, delayed launching, encouraging positive choices, evolving family dynamics, maintaining personal boundaries, and substance use.
- Parents of Adopted Adolescents and High School Aged Teens: Meets on the first Tuesday of each month from 7:00-8:30 PM. This group is geared toward parents of adopted youth between the ages of 13-18 and topics covered include: fostering independence, coping with academic challenges, encouraging positive choices, maintaining boundaries, substance use, emerging adoptive identity and relationships with birth families.
- Parents who Adopted Older Children: Meets on the second Wednesday of each month from 6:30-8:30 PM.
- Adoptive Parents in Open and Semi-Open Adoption: Meets on the first Thursday of each month from 7:30-9:00 PM and focuses on issues including: navigating communication with birth families, learning new previously undisclosed information, talking to children about their adoption and birth relatives, and preparing children for contact and visits (if applicable.)
- Birth Parent Discussion Group: Meets on the second Thursday of each month from 7:00-9:00 PM. This group is geared toward any parent who has ever placed a child for adoption- whether this past year or thirty years ago. Participants have found the group a nurturing framework to meet with peers and explore issues including grief and loss, resolution and relationships with adoptive family (if applicable.)
If you have questions, please contact Varda Makovsky, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-664-9664.