For Families in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.
The Barker Adoption Foundation has direct adoption programs in China, Colombia, India, and South Korea and provides comprehensive adoption services to families adopting children who are from those countries. Barker also offers specific local services to families living in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., who hope to adopt from a country where Barker does NOT have a direct program.
Prospective adoptive families requesting only local services from Barker will identify a licensed, Hague-accredited agency as the child-placing agency that has a direct program in the specific country. Barker does not provide local services for international adoptions that do not have a placement agency involved (for example, independent or private adoptions) or for the placement of children over 7 years of age.
The key services Barker provides include the following:
- Adoption education and training
- Completion of the home study (and all associated paperwork)
- Post-placement supervision services that occur after a family brings their child home
- Support and guidance from Barker staff throughout the process
- A variety of educational and support services available during the adoption process and post-adoption, ranging from waiting-parent support groups to parenting workshops, to the Barker annual Adoption and Foster Care Conference and beyond.
Barker believes in the importance of providing support and guidance to our families throughout their adoption journey, whether you are adopting through our direct programs or working with another agency for placement. As your local agency, we will ensure that you have the assistance you need with your adoption plans, provided by our knowledgeable, well-trained staff.
The following process will guide you in working with Barker for home study and post-placement services:
- Identify a Hague-accredited agency that has a direct program in the chosen country, and learn about the program and the application, referral, and placement processes.
- Contact the international program staff at Barker at 301-664-9664 to discuss the local services that Barker provides and how we can meet your needs.
- Attend a general information meeting at Barker to learn about the agency and its services and to meet the staff.
- Submit an adoption application to Barker. Your application is reviewed, and then an application interview is scheduled with international program staff. At this meeting, you receive all the paperwork needed to complete the home study.
- Provide contact information for the adoption agency you have chosen as your placing agency so that Barker staff may coordinate with them on requirements for the country and the agency.
- Complete the pre-adoption training requirements. If your placing agency requires that additional courses or training be completed, then we can include this in your training process.
- Once your home study and training have been completed, we send your home study to you and to your placing agency.
- Barker completes home study updates as needed during the waiting period based on USCIS, country, and state requirements.
- Once your child is home, we complete the required post-placement supervisory visits. These visits enable us to assist you and your child as you settle into becoming a family. The number of visits required depends on the country’s requirements as well as your placing agency and Barker’s criteria.
Barker provides lifelong post-adoption services to you and your child. We are available to you for counseling or guidance. Barker also offers a wide array of workshops and events and an annual conference to help keep you connected to other adoptive families and give you the most up-to-date information on adoption.