For Families Adopting Through Barker International Programs Who Live Outside Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.
Although licensed in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., The Barker Adoption Foundation is authorized to work with prospective adoptive families living anywhere in the United States for placement services (those living in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., also are eligible for home study and post-placement supervision services). Barker’s programs in China, Colombia, and India offer families in any state the opportunity to adopt through Barker. For Barker’s South Korea program, we can work with prospective adoptive families who live in North Carolina in addition to those from Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., including the home study and post-placement supervision services.
The following process will guide you in working with Barker as an out-of-area family:
- Contact the international program staff at Barker at 301-664-9664 or email@example.com to learn more about our international programs. We are happy to discuss any questions you have as you consider which adoption program is right for you.
- Submit an application to The Barker Adoption Foundation.
- Barker can help identify a nonprofit home study agency in your area that can provide you the Hague-required local services. Barker networks with many out-of-area U.S. agencies and also is willing to start new networking partnerships with other agencies. When identifying a local agency in your state, please note that Barker works only with Hague-accredited or in some cases COA-accredited licensed agencies.
- Your local agency takes responsibility for adoption education and training to meet the Hague accreditation, country-specific requirements, and Barker’s requirements for home study preparation, the paperwork required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the required post-placement services for your family after you bring your child home.
- Barker’s fee for networking services for out-of-area families covers coordination by Barker international program staff with your local agency, the cost of overseas representatives and the support of our international partners, guidance with dossier preparation, and ongoing support to families throughout the adoption process. Although you do not live in our local area of Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, D.C., we feel it is important to get to know you so that we can offer support throughout the process.
For further details, please refer to this Barker international adoption overview chart.