If you are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and are not sure what to do Barker Adoption's Pregnancy Counselors are here to help you navigate through your options and help you make the best plan for you and your baby. It takes tremendous courage to explore all of your pregnancy options, including, adoption for your baby and inner strength to figure out what is truly best for you and your child. You are not alone. We understand this is an important life changing decision, and our pregnancy counselors are available 24 hours/ 7 days a week to listen and help you through this time. We understand everyone’s story is unique, and The Barker Adoption Foundation's pregnancy counselors listen closely to your needs to support you through the decisions ahead. Our services are confidential and free of charge. We’ve been helping birth parents through the decision-making process for over 75 years, and we’ve been advocating for and supporting their rights before, during and AFTER they place their baby for just as long. Barker is located in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Our pregnancy counselors can meet you wherever you feel most comfortable when you would like to explore and discuss adoption. Remember you can always call our toll-free number 1-888-731-6601 or text us 240-600-1106 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This is what you can expect when you reach one of our pregnancy counselors:
- At Barker we provide a safe, supportive, and unbiased place for you to talk about what your thoughts and feelings are about this pregnancy. We can meet anywhere in Maryland, Virginia or DC.
- We are not here to pressure anyone to choose adoption. We spend as much time as needed looking at how you might be able to make parenting work, if you want to.
- We can help talk to other important people in your life about your plan if you need help doing so.
- If you are ready to explore an adoption plan, Barker is here to help guide through what your journey might look like including- your legal rights and your options, questions about financial assistance, other community resources needed, open adoption vs closed adoption, finding a family for your baby, and other questions you may have about your pregnancy and adoption. Making an adoption plan for your baby is not giving your baby away, it is a thoughtful, at times painful but caring way to provide care and stability for your child.
- We will help develop a plan for ongoing contact and communication with your baby and the adoptive family, if you want.
- You have every right for the hospital experience you want. We will support your desire to have your baby in the room with you, or cared for in the nursery.
- When you place a baby through Barker, you can be assured that we are always ready to support you through your adoption journey even after your baby has been placed. Our counselors are here for you following placement, our support group is here for all birth parents, and our post adoption support is here for years to come. Often birth parents, know they made the right decision but still got through a period of grief and loss. Our pregnancy counselors are accessible to navigate those feelings no matter how much time has gone by. Barker also provides various support groups, including a Birth Parent Support Group that you can attend and hear from other birth parents who are experiencing similar feelings or have found peace with their decision
- Oftentimes, birth parents know they made the right decision but still got through a period of grief and loss. Our pregnancy counselors are accessible to navigate those feelings. When you place your baby through Barker, you can be assured that we are always ready to support you through your adoption journey. Our counselors are here for you following placement, our support group is here for all birth parents, and our post adoption support is here for years to come. Barker also provides various support groups, including a Birth Parent Support Group that you can attend and hear from other birth parents who are experiencing similar feelings or have found peace with their decision
If you would like to speak further, have more questions regarding adoption and your pregnancy, or just want to explore your options further, we invite you to contact a Barker pregnancy counselor anytime. Our counselors are available 24/7.
Call Us (toll-free): 1-888-731-6601
Text Us: 240-600-1106
*Barker is a local nonprofit. We counsel clients in the immediate DMV and across Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. Should you decide to place your baby for adoption, your adoption would be in Maryland (MD), Virginia (VA) or Washington, D.C. (DC).
- ‹ Embracing Your New Normal – 10 Things Before Adopting Internationally
- Parenting Teens and Tweens - What They Really Need ›