Special Adoptive Parenting During the COVID-19 Session: "Ask The Pediatrician"
Join our Family & Post Adoption staff online on Monday, May 11, at 7:00 PM EDT for an exclusive online session!
Connect with other adoptive parents and Dr. Monika Walters, an adoption medical specialist, Pediatrician and a Barker mom as she discusses significant developments with the Coronavirus, followed by an "Ask the Pediatrician" session where she will answer questions related to the virus, general medical issues, and medical concerns related to adoption.
Register today to submit your specific questions in advance.
The fee to register is $35. Space is limited and is only open for up to 12 people, so if you are interested, we encourage you to register today. This online session is available to all adoptive parents regardless if you have worked with Barker in the past or have not attended prior parent sessions.
If, for some reason, you are unable to pay, but would like to attend, please contact the Family and Post-Adoption Services Department at 301-664-9664 or by email at postadopt [at] barkerfoundation.org.
More on our Parent Online Group Sessions: "Adoptive Parenting During COVID-19"
The Coronavirus and the associated “shelter in place order” have dramatically changed family life and parenting methods that we are used to. It can be scary when everything around us that we are familiar with on a day to day basis changes. Register today for this upcoming six-session support group designed to empower parents during this challenging and uncertain time.
You are one of the tens of millions of people around the world who are staying at home, so almost all of your daily habits and routines have changed. Things have been turned upside down. This can leave your kids feeling like there’s an uncertain future, a loss of safety, triggers of grief from developmental trauma, increased thoughts or worries about their birth family, increased feelings of loss or control. How can we use this time at home with our children to enhance attachment, open the doors to talk about adoption, and talk about their feelings related to uncertainty around this difficult time in our world to build resiliency in our children and families? Join us for strategies you can begin using today.
Group participants will be able to interact with one another and the presenters. The six-session support group will be delivered online via ZOOM.
When: Mondays 7-8:30 except Session 4 is on a Tuesday
- Session 1 April 13
- Session 2 April 20
- Session 3 April 27
- Session 4 May 5 (Tuesday)
- Session 5 May 11
- Session 6 May 18
Topics Covered Include:
- COVID-19: What every parent needs to know
- Parenting children and teens with ADHD and other special needs during the “Stay at Home Order”
- Understanding “The Awakening of Grief and Loss” in your adopted child during this time
- Strengthening Attachment and Resiliency in your Family
- Parenting Teenagers and Returning College Students and Young Adults
- Developing strategies, systems, and reminders to help ensure children are following the new hygienic routines
- Ways to productively channel a child’s excess energy while “sheltering in place”
- Changes in family dynamics while “sheltering in place”
- Establishing clear house rules and boundaries to keep all members of the family safe
- Setting up routines to assure a smooth-running household with shared chores and duties
- Ways to empower teenagers and young adults during this period, and make sure they are using their time productively
- Ask the Pediatrician - Bring any questions you have about COVID-19
Payment and Insurance Information:
The cost of the workshop is $35 per session and is insurance reimbursable. We take Cigna, Tri-Care, BCBS, Aetna, and Magellan, PPO plans.
Please look for an email with a link to our online portal where you can create an account and enter your insurance and payment information.
If we do not take your insurance, the cost will be $35 per session. If you are unable to pay, please contact us and we will make sure you are not turned away due to inability to pay.
Before the Live Webinar, you will receive an email that will give you your login information and directions for accessing the webinar.