Please view the hybrid schedule:
Session 1 – June 15, 2024, 9:00am-3:00pm (In-person)
Session 2 – June 22, 2024, 9:00am-3:00pm (In-person)
Session 3 - Program Breakout Sessions – One Required (Virtual)
International: June 25, 2024, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Domestic Infant: June 26, 2024, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Older Child Adoption from Foster care (PWNL): June 27, 2024, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Note: Families are required to attend at least one breakout session for the program that they are most interested in, but have the option to attend additional sessions to learn more about other programs at no additional cost. Families who reside in DC, MD, or VA are required to attend session 1 and 2 in-person at the Bethesda, MD office. Families who live out of state and are applying to the international program may attend those sessions virtually using a hybrid platform.
Session 4 – July 13, 2024, 9:00am-3:00pm (Virtual)
Are you ready to begin your adoption journey? Completing this training is great first step!
Pre-Adoption Training is intended to educate, support, and prepare families who will be adopting a child through the US foster care system, international or private domestic process. Families will enhance core competencies and gain skills to effectively parent children from a variety of different backgrounds, who have experienced trauma, separation and loss. Through shared learning with others and with the facilitation of an experienced professional and parent team, we believe that families can provide the healing environment that children need.
- Completing this training is required to adopt.
- Makeup sessions for classes missed due to an unexpected emergency may be made available for an additional fee at the discretion of the trainer/program. These make-up sessions are not available for the first session of NTDC.
- Participants missing more than one session (for any reason) will be disenrolled from the class and required to complete the entire training again at a time that better fits their schedule. It is strongly recommended that registrants arrange their schedules to accommodate being present at each class session.
- Virtual sessions are held via a live/online platform. Participants must have their cameras turned on for the duration of the training in order to receive a certificate of completion.
- Some material may not be suitable for children so we ask that any children that you may have not be present during any of the sessions.
For further questions about class and scheduling, please contact Tenisha Lusane: Tlusane [at] barkerfoundation.org
*Cancellation Policy*: Registrations may by cancelled up to 30 days before the start date of the registered session for a fee of $75. All fees are non-refundable within 30 days of the event.